Fraction Fun

Fractions can be so confusing for some kids.  I know some of my kiddos struggle with the wholes and the parts.  We have been adding and subtracting fractions and I wanted to wrap up the lesson with a little fun.  I literally made the worksheet at 5 one morning and ran to Wally world to grab some Skittles before school so we could do this.  Sometimes some of the best ideas for your kiddos are last minute.  Anyone else roll like that???  (there are several spins on this activity...this is just what I wanted to do)
These little mini packs of Skittles are perfect for fraction activities.  Each bag has 12-16 pieces and a great variety of colors.  So here is what we did with this:
- each child had to write the fraction of each color of Skittle they had 
We had been practicing adding and subtracting fractions using number lines and picture models so each child had to give an addition and subtraction example of each using some of the fractions they had.


Maybe this is a fun, fast activity you can use.  Of course we ate the Skittles when we were done:)
Do your kiddos struggle with fractions?  Ideas to share?  Leave them in the comments!



2 comments

  1. Great idea! I am going to try this lesson next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea! Especially since my daughter loves skittles lol. She'll take interest in this right idea. I've also been doing some math riddles with her as well, I can share where I found some really good riddles if you don't mind: Math Riddles

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top